Syllabus and Course Outline
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL ESSENTIALS
NUMBER OF HOURS:
10 - 15 Hours
International travel is becoming more and more commonplace as businesses become more global. No longer is it the seasoned travel professional that handles international travel bookings. Gain the knowledge needed to research, plan and prepare to travel internationally. You will learn the terminology, the policies and the procedures of international travel. This includes determining documentation needed, currency and exchange rates, time zones, health concerns, safety issues, and what to expect upon return. Opportunities for application of knowledge are provided throughout the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
Determine ways travel professionals can avoid or lessen the impact of health and safety issues on travelers and travel businesses
- Demonstrate a working understanding of time zones, the International Date Line (IDL), Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and the 24-hour clock.
- Explain documentation requirements for traveling outside your own country.
- List resources for learning about the culture of country(s) being visited.
- Advise passengers on what to expect when passing through Customs.
- Describe the process of exchanging money from one currency into another.
- Explain varying currencies used in countries throughout the world.
- Advise travelers of the various ways currency can be exchanged and forms it can take - travelers checks, prepaid travel cards, cash, etc.
- Consider the health and safety issues that may arise when traveling, including:
- Physical health problems
- Communicable diseases
- Acts of God and Infrastructure Issues
- Crime, including terrorism
Successful completion of all Challenges and the exam.
Each lesson includes review questions called "Check Your Understanding."
The maximum time to complete this course will be sent to you by your instructor. The course includes 12 Try Its, 5 reviews, and 1 exam. All reviews, challenges and the exam are submitted electronically to your instructor with results returned via email.
Lesson 1 - Time Zones, Documentation, Culture and Customs (21 pages)
Lesson 2 - Currency Differences in International Travel (9 pages)
Lesson 3 - Keeping Healthy and Safe While Traveling (11 pages)
Lesson 4 - Travel Tips and Fundamentals (39 pages)